- Egyptian security forces arrest son of al-Mashhad editor Magdi Shandi
- Spanish reporter Ferran Barber detained for weeks without charge, deported from Iraqi Kurdistan
- Nicaraguan customs authorities target 2 newspapers with ink, paper seizures
- Journalist detained in Iraqi Kurdistan without charge since August 21
- CPJ Insider: September 2019 edition
- Infographic: 10 Most Censored Countries
- Video: 10 Most Censored Countries
- 10 Most Censored Countries
- Eritrea, North Korea, Turkmenistan top CPJ’s 10 most censored list
Reporter Without Borders
- Time for major press freedom reforms in DRC
- Turkey: Ahmet Altan and Nazlı Ilıcak still in jail as retrial commences on new bogus terrorism charges
- RSF asks President Radev to defuse Bulgaria’s press freedom “crisis”
- Facebook’s Oversight Board is Not Enough
- Well-known TV host’s death in Iraqi Kurdistan – murder or suicide?
- Iran abducts Paris-based Iranian opposition news provider
- Moroccan journalist Hajar Raissouni free at last
- Wave of raids on critical journalists in Russia
Mexico June 20, 2005
H.E. Vicente Quesada Fox
Residencia Official de los Pinos
Col. San Miguel Chapultepec,
11850 Mexico , DF
Fax: (011.52.5) 515-5729
The Overseas Press Club of America writes to thank and support your decision in April to have federal authorities take over the investigations of the deaths of two journalists, murdered earlier that month.
Dolores Guadalupe García Escamilla , a crime reporter for Stereo 91 in Nuevo Laredo , was shot on April 5 in front of her radio station, and Raul Gibb Guerrero , owner of the Poza Rica-based daily, La Opinión , in Vera Cruz, was killed on April 8.
This week marks two months since your decision to have more highly trained federal detectives look into both cases. We write to ask you to make public any news in the cases and to make sure that both remain prominently in the public mind. A mention by Your Excellency of your justified and continued interest in the two cases would send a message to those who would attempt to stifle the freed of the press in your country and those whose murderous deeds should not go unpunished.
We would appreciate any comment from your offices.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Robert E. Sullivan
Freedom of the Press Committee
Carlos de Icaza
Ambassador of Mexico to the U.S.A.
Embassy of Mexico
1911 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington , DC 20006
Fax: (202) 728-1698
Ambassador Enrique Beriuga
Permanent Mission of Mexico to the United Nations
2 United Nations Plaza, 28th floor
New York , NY 10017
Fax: (212) 688-8862
Antonio O. Garza, Jr.
U.S. Ambassador to Mexico
Embassy of the United States of America
P.O. Box 9000
Brownsville , TX 78520
Fax: (011.52.55) 5080-2005
Patricia Mercado Sanchez
Mexico , DF