- Journalist Casimir Kpedjo detained, facing false news accusations in Benin
- Trial of detained Nicaraguan journalists Lucía Pineda and Miguel Mora indefinitely delayed
- Editor-in-chief of Mexican newspaper Reforma targeted by death threats following criticism from president
- Peruvian judge orders assets freeze for Ojo Público, 2 journalists in defamation case
- Israeli forces injure four Palestinian journalists covering Gaza protests
- Two journalists arrested covering yellow vest protests in France
- Jordanian journalist Abdulrahman Farhana detained by Saudi authorities
- Myanmar military sues The Irrawaddy for criminal defamation over conflict coverage
Reporter Without Borders
- Media Ownership Monitor: Pakistan a high-risk country in terms of media pluralism
- Russian authorities persecute Ingush news website
- Hong Kong: Journalists association deplores “one of the worst years” of press freedom
- LIBYA : eleven TV channels banned in eastern Libya
- Press freedom violations recounted in real time January 2019
- Burkina Faso: legislative threat to press freedom must be declared unconstitutional
- Erol Önderoğlu acquitted at one trial, but another due soon
- Media independence under threat in Burundi after BBC pull-out
Mexico June 20, 2005
H.E. Vicente Quesada Fox
Residencia Official de los Pinos
Col. San Miguel Chapultepec,
11850 Mexico , DF
Fax: (011.52.5) 515-5729
The Overseas Press Club of America writes to thank and support your decision in April to have federal authorities take over the investigations of the deaths of two journalists, murdered earlier that month.
Dolores Guadalupe García Escamilla , a crime reporter for Stereo 91 in Nuevo Laredo , was shot on April 5 in front of her radio station, and Raul Gibb Guerrero , owner of the Poza Rica-based daily, La Opinión , in Vera Cruz, was killed on April 8.
This week marks two months since your decision to have more highly trained federal detectives look into both cases. We write to ask you to make public any news in the cases and to make sure that both remain prominently in the public mind. A mention by Your Excellency of your justified and continued interest in the two cases would send a message to those who would attempt to stifle the freed of the press in your country and those whose murderous deeds should not go unpunished.
We would appreciate any comment from your offices.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Robert E. Sullivan
Freedom of the Press Committee
Carlos de Icaza
Ambassador of Mexico to the U.S.A.
Embassy of Mexico
1911 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington , DC 20006
Fax: (202) 728-1698
Ambassador Enrique Beriuga
Permanent Mission of Mexico to the United Nations
2 United Nations Plaza, 28th floor
New York , NY 10017
Fax: (212) 688-8862
Antonio O. Garza, Jr.
U.S. Ambassador to Mexico
Embassy of the United States of America
P.O. Box 9000
Brownsville , TX 78520
Fax: (011.52.55) 5080-2005
Patricia Mercado Sanchez
Mexico , DF