- Bitter reversal: Myanmar military coup wipes out press freedom gains
- Murders of journalists more than double worldwide
- Record number of journalists jailed worldwide
- Getting Away with Murder
- Covering police violence protests in the US
- Amid COVID-19, the prognosis for press freedom is dim. Here are 10 symptoms to track
- The Trump Administration and the Media
- About: The Trump Administration and the Media
- Trust deficit: About This Report
Reporter Without Borders
- UK: Blogger Craig Murray jailed for eight months over “jigsaw identification”
- How dare China, the worlds’ number one propagandist, accuse the BBC of broadcasting “fake news"?
- RSF hails former Malian intelligence chief’s arrest over reporter’s disappearance
- Landmark public inquiry report finds Maltese state must “shoulder responsibility” for the assassination of Daphne Caruana Galizia
- Ugly Twins: a novel type of attacks on local independent media in Serbia
- RSF launches a resource platform on journalism safety
- Reporters attacked while covering Covid pass protests in four EU countries
- RSF calls for the release of a Sudanese journalist jailed in Saudi Arabia
Overseas Press Club of America Denounces Trump’s Attack on Press as Part of Nationwide Protest
NEW YORK August 16, 2018—The Overseas Press Club of America joined newspapers across the country in publishing statements today condemning President Trump’s assaults on U.S. journalists. The Boston Globe and the American Society of News Editors (ASNE) led the call for joint action to defend a free press.
“This dirty war on the free press must end,” ASNE said in a blog post on Aug. 9. “The slander of ‘fake news’ has become Donald Trump’s most potent tool of abuse and incitement against the First Amendment, labeling journalists the ‘enemy of the American people’ and ‘dangerous and sick.’”
“The Overseas Press Club has a long history of defending the rights of journalists and promoting responsible journalism around the globe,” said Deidre Depke, OPC President. “But the attacks the press has sustained under the Trump administration are a new low in modern American history. It is time for all journalists and all defenders of a free press to simply say, ‘enough.’”
The Overseas Press Club is an international association of journalists based in New York City that works to encourage the highest standards in journalism, to educate the next generation of foreign correspondents and to promote international press freedom and the well-being of colleagues in the field.