- Deadly year for journalists as killings rose sharply in 2022
- Number of jailed journalists spikes to new global record
- Killing with impunity: Vast majority of journalists’ murderers go free
- Special report: When spyware turns phones into weapons
- Afghanistan’s media crisis
- Attacks on the press: The deadliest countries in 2021
- ‘Night and day’: The Biden administration and the press
- Number of journalists behind bars reaches global high
- Killers of journalists still get away with murder
Reporter Without Borders
Free Members of Press Club Belarus!
The detentions of Yulia Slutskaya, founder and president of Press Club Belarus, Sergei Olshevsky, the club’s director, Alla Sharko, club program director, Sergei Yakupov, Media Academy program director for the club, and Pyotr Slutsky, cameraperson, are new examples of the war that was launched by the regime of Alexander Lukashenko on freedom of speech and independent journalism in Belarus. In addition, Press Club Belarus’ headquarters and homes of some of the club’s managers were searched.
Club members of the International Association of Press Clubs (IAPC) and European Press Clubs Federation (EPCF) demand the immediate release of those detained and an end to repression of journalists in Belarus.
Since the fraudulent presidential elections in August and the start of mass protests, 385 journalists have been detained in Belarus just for doing their jobs, and some of them are still imprisoned.
We convey to all repressed Belarusian journalists our utmost respect for their attitude, solidarity and support. Journalists around the world are requested to monitor the situation and keep the public informed.
International Association of Press Clubs
European Press Clubs Federation
Club de la presse Hauts-de-France
Concordia Presseclub (Austria)
Foreign Correspondents’ Club of South Asia
Geneva Press Club
Jerusalem Press Club
London Press Club
National Press Club of Australia
National Press Club of Mongolia
Overseas Press Club of America
Polish Club of International Columnists
Press Club Brussels Europe
Press Club de France
Press Club Polska