- Egyptian security forces arrest son of al-Mashhad editor Magdi Shandi
- Spanish reporter Ferran Barber detained for weeks without charge, deported from Iraqi Kurdistan
- Nicaraguan customs authorities target 2 newspapers with ink, paper seizures
- Journalist detained in Iraqi Kurdistan without charge since August 21
- CPJ Insider: September 2019 edition
- Infographic: 10 Most Censored Countries
- Video: 10 Most Censored Countries
- 10 Most Censored Countries
- Eritrea, North Korea, Turkmenistan top CPJ’s 10 most censored list
Reporter Without Borders
- Palestinian Authority blocks 51 online news sources
- Two Al Jazeera journalists forced to leave Guinea
- Morocco must free citizen-journalist on hunger strike, RSF says
- Somalia : Puntland authorities persecute former radio station manager
- Journalist jailed on defamation charge in southern Kazakhstan
- Time for major press freedom reforms in DRC
- Turkey: Ahmet Altan and Nazlı Ilıcak still in jail as retrial commences on new bogus terrorism charges
- RSF asks President Radev to defuse Bulgaria’s press freedom “crisis”
OPC Calls for Release of Journalists Arrested in Belfast
NEW YORK, August 31, 2018—The Overseas Press Club of America called on police in the United Kingdom to release two British journalists who were arrested Friday on suspicion of stealing confidential documents.
According to The Washington Post, two men were arrested in Belfast for allegedly stealing documents from Northern Ireland’s police ombudsman. The paper said filmmaker Alex Gibney tweeted that Trevor Birney and Barry McCaffrey had been detained. McCaffrey and Birney worked on Gibney’s 2017 documentary “No Stone Unturned” about a 1994 massacre in the village of Loughinisland southeast of Belfast.
The Overseas Press Club is an international association of journalists based in New York City that works to encourage the highest standards in journalism, to educate the next generation of foreign correspondents and to promote international press freedom and the well-being of colleagues in the field.