- Murders of journalists more than double worldwide
- Record number of journalists jailed worldwide
- Getting Away with Murder
- Covering police violence protests in the US
- Amid COVID-19, the prognosis for press freedom is dim. Here are 10 symptoms to track
- The Trump Administration and the Media
- About: The Trump Administration and the Media
- Trust deficit: About This Report
- Trust deficit: Guatemala’s new president must overcome skepticism to improve press freedom
Reporter Without Borders
- Guinea : RSF and AIPS call for release of two imprisoned journalists
- Russian peacekeepers deny foreign reporters access to Nagorno-Karabakh
- Stop funding Myanmar’s generals, RSF tells 10 multinationals
- RSF laureates support jailed Vietnamese journalist Pham Doan Trang
- Iran: Press freedom violations recounted in real time January 2020
- RSF decries arbitrary blocking of two CAR news websites
- Open judicial season on Moroccan journalists
- Harsh new crackdown on journalists in Belarus
OPC Condemns Arrest of Press Club Staff in Belarus
The Overseas Press Club of America denounces the detention of five staff members of Press Club Belarus on charges of tax evasion.
Julia Slutskaya, founder and president of the club, and four other staff members were arrested on Dec. 22 and the club’s offices were searched and closed. The homes of those arrested were also searched.
Press Club Belarus and the OPC are members of the International Association of Press Clubs (IAPC). Jaroslaw Wlodarczyk, secretary of the IAPC, said the government of Alexander Lukashenko yesterday extended the group’s detention by 10 days to Jan. 7.
“Lawyers are taking all possible steps to ensure their immediate release. However, taking into account the politically motivated previous trials in Belarus, the chances of their release are slim, especially in the absence of pressure,” Wlodarczyk said.
More than a dozen other Belarusian press club staff were evacuated to Lithuania and Ukraine and are scheduled to go to Poland in January and operate from Warsaw, he added.