- Several journalists say US border agents questioned them about migrant coverage
- Pakistani journalist arrested for critical Twitter posts
- Mexico denies entry to at least 2 journalists covering migrant caravan
- Russia investigates reporter, seizes property over allegations of "justifying terrorism"
- CPJ holds presser outside White House, calls on Trump administration to reveal its findings on Khashoggi murder
- #JusticeForJamal campaign culminates with call for administration to respond to Senate inquiry
- Ugandan authorities arrest BBC journalists investigating black market drug sales
- CPJ calls on Jammu and Kashmir police to drop charges against journalist
- Two radio journalists shot and killed in northern Afghanistan
Reporter Without Borders
- Turkey: Punitive jail sentences confirmed for former Cumhuriyet staff
- Brazilian investigative reporter to face 59 simultaneous lawsuits
- RSF recommendations on regulating the surveillance industry
- Slovakia: Concern about political meddling in year-old Kuciak murder investigation
- Nigerian election campaign “polluted” by disinformation
- Ghana: Investigation into journalist’s murder has stalled
- Turkey: Resolution on ineffective domestic legal remedy for journalists
- Call for Kashmiri journalist’s release after spurious charges
OPC Raises Alarm on Behalf of Threatened Bangladeshi Editor
H.E. Zillur Rahman
People’s Republic of Bangladesh
Fax: (011.8802) 86.63.00
H.E. Sheikh Hasina Wajed
People’s Republic of Bangladesh
Fax: (011.8802) 81.32.43/4
We write to you with a great urgency on behalf of our Bangladeshi colleague, Nurul Kabir, editor of New Age.
On February 23, someone claiming to be “top terror mamun” phoned Kabir to threaten him and his family with “dire” consequences if he continues to write and speak out against “terrorism of various sorts.” The caller also reportedly promised that Kabir and his family will be “hit” should he fail to comply.
For good measure, the caller, who made the call from the number 01816904359 at 12:15 pm, also demanded money from Kabir.
It is our understanding that Kabir has filed a report of this threat with the Tejgaon Industrial Area police in this connection.
The work of professional journalists is a cornerstone of a thriving democracy. It would be of immeasurable value — not just to Kabir, but to all of our colleagues — if your office were to be seen to have a visible interest in this outrage.
Co-chairmen, Freedom of the Press Committee
30, Tejgaon Industrial Area
Fax: (011.8802) 811.2247
H.E. Akramul Qader
Ambassador of Bangladesh to the U.S.A.
Embassy of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh
3510 International Drive, NW
Washington, DC 20007
Ambassador Abdulkalam Abdul Momen
Permanent Mission of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh
to the United Nations
227 East 45 Street, 14th Floor
New York, NY 10017
H.E. James F. Moriarty
U.S. Ambassador to Banglades
Embassy of the United States of America
Madani Avenue, Baridhara
Fax: (011.8802) 882.3744
32 Kazi Nazrul Islam Avenue
Karwan Bazar, Dhaka-1215
Fax: (011.8802) 912.7722
Fax: (011.8802 ) 86.17.72
Fax: (011.8802) 83.31.22/ 7-72
Fax: (011.8802) 86.57.76
Mr. Brian Palmer