- Police raid Cairo offices of Turkish Anadolu News Agency, arrest at least 4
- Ugandan police harass and detain journalists covering opposition politician Bobi Wine
- Journalist Patricia Kayuni assaulted while covering protest in Malawi
- Missing radio anchor found dead in Mexico’s Michoacán state
- Sudan suspends four news outlets over alleged financial link to Bashir regime
- Colombian magazine Semana alleges military spied on its journalists
- Montenegro reporters Živković and Raičević charged with criminal incitement
- Malawi detains, charges 3 journalists seeking to cover EU delegation’s return
- Journalists threatened, assaulted while covering local politician in Sierra Leone
Reporter Without Borders
- US – RSF calls on the Senate to reverse unprecedented restrictions on the press
- Two reporters arrested in Comoros, placed under judicial control
- Reporters Without Borders, Index on Censorship and Transparency International UK urge Azerbaijan to lift journalist’s travel ban
- Sudan closes four media outlets that supported former regime
- Does crisis at leading daily mean end to investigative journalism in Estonia?
- Reporter beaten and left for dead in northern Bangladesh
- Two Iraqi journalists shot dead after covering protests in Basra
- Constitutional Court hears case against controversial snooping law
OPC Raises Alarm on Behalf of Threatened Bangladeshi Editor
H.E. Zillur Rahman
People’s Republic of Bangladesh
Fax: (011.8802) 86.63.00
H.E. Sheikh Hasina Wajed
People’s Republic of Bangladesh
Fax: (011.8802) 81.32.43/4
We write to you with a great urgency on behalf of our Bangladeshi colleague, Nurul Kabir, editor of New Age.
On February 23, someone claiming to be “top terror mamun” phoned Kabir to threaten him and his family with “dire” consequences if he continues to write and speak out against “terrorism of various sorts.” The caller also reportedly promised that Kabir and his family will be “hit” should he fail to comply.
For good measure, the caller, who made the call from the number 01816904359 at 12:15 pm, also demanded money from Kabir.
It is our understanding that Kabir has filed a report of this threat with the Tejgaon Industrial Area police in this connection.
The work of professional journalists is a cornerstone of a thriving democracy. It would be of immeasurable value — not just to Kabir, but to all of our colleagues — if your office were to be seen to have a visible interest in this outrage.
Co-chairmen, Freedom of the Press Committee
30, Tejgaon Industrial Area
Fax: (011.8802) 811.2247
H.E. Akramul Qader
Ambassador of Bangladesh to the U.S.A.
Embassy of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh
3510 International Drive, NW
Washington, DC 20007
Ambassador Abdulkalam Abdul Momen
Permanent Mission of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh
to the United Nations
227 East 45 Street, 14th Floor
New York, NY 10017
H.E. James F. Moriarty
U.S. Ambassador to Banglades
Embassy of the United States of America
Madani Avenue, Baridhara
Fax: (011.8802) 882.3744
32 Kazi Nazrul Islam Avenue
Karwan Bazar, Dhaka-1215
Fax: (011.8802) 912.7722
Fax: (011.8802 ) 86.17.72
Fax: (011.8802) 83.31.22/ 7-72
Fax: (011.8802) 86.57.76
Mr. Brian Palmer