- Attacks on the press: The deadliest countries in 2021
- ‘Night and day’: The Biden administration and the press
- Number of journalists behind bars reaches global high
- Killers of journalists still get away with murder
- Bitter reversal: Myanmar military coup wipes out press freedom gains
- Murders of journalists more than double worldwide
- Record number of journalists jailed worldwide
- Getting Away with Murder
- Covering police violence protests in the US
Reporter Without Borders
Saudi Arabia October 25, 2018
His Excellency Abdallah Y. Al-Mouallimi
The Ambassador of The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to the United Nations
866 United Nations Plaza, second floor
New York, N.Y. 10017
Dear Mr. Ambassador:
The Freedom of the Press Committees of two of New York’s most venerable news organizations, the Overseas Press Club of America and the Society of Silurians, would like to invite you to address a joint public meeting of our memberships to explain the Saudi government’s conduct with regard to the press.
Our most immediate concern is your government’s rationale for the abduction and murder of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi. The other subjects of great importance are the ongoing repression of Saudi journalists and the reportedly wide-spread use by the Saudi government of bot farms to spread disinformation via social media platforms, such as Facebook.
Journalists would appreciate hearing from your government in a public forum where reporters could listen to your presentation and ask questions in an on-the-record exchange.
We could conduct this program at facilities used by the two clubs or at a venue in New York of your choice.
On behalf of the two clubs, we hope to hear from you soon. Please feel free to call the OPC’s executive director, Patricia Kranz, at the club’s headquarters at 212-626-9220. Our address is 40 West 45th Street, New York, NY 10036.
Thank you for your consideration.
Allan Dodds Frank & William Collins
On behalf of the Freedom of the Press Committees of the Overseas Press Club of America and the Society of Silurians.