The CFWIJ has published its first quarterly report documenting press freedom violations against women and LGBTQI journalists.
Below you can find key takeaways from the report:
- At least 145 women journalists were subjected to violations and threats during the first quarter of 2023.
- At least 100 women journalists spent the first quarter of 2023 behind bars, only 4% less than in the first quarter of the previous year.
- CFWIJ documented 24 physical assaults on women journalists in the first quarter of 2023. The number of assaults has risen by 4.3% since first three months of 2022.
- 23 women journalists were legally harassed in the first quarter of 2023 as documented by CFWIJ. Using the law to pressure journalists continues to be a serious threat to press freedom.
- In the first quarter of 2023, CFWIJ documented 4 new SLAPP cases launched against women journalists, of those 2 are in Eastern Europe.