Event Coverage Highlight
OPC Award Winners Share Their Stories: The Hal Boyle Award
The Overseas Press Club is launching a series of Zoom conversations in which the head judge of each award interviews the winners. Spearheading the series is OPC Governor Farnaz Fassihi, head judge of the Hal Boyle Award for best newspaper, news service or digital reporting from abroad. A team from The Associated Press won the award for “Outsourcing Migrants,” an investigative series that showcased the global migration crisis from Latin America to the Middle East. The series exposed how policies in Western and developed nations were creating a huge pool of languishing people.
AP journalists joining the call include Lori Hinnant, Tim Sullivan and Julie Watson. Fassihi is a reporter for The New York Times. Previously she was a senior writer for The Wall Street Journal for 17 years and a conflict reporter based in the Middle East.
RSVPs are required. Links to the Zoom call will be emailed to registrants before the program begins.
Segments from the “Outsourcing Migrant” series can be viewed on the links below:
- MIGRANTS ENDURE RAPE AND TORTURE ON ROUTE THROUGH YEMEN
- VIDEO: TORTURE AWAITS AFRICAN MIGRANTS TRAVELING IN YEMEN
- MAKING MISERY PAY: LIBYA MILITIAS TAKE EU FUNDS FOR MIGRANTS
- VIDEO: EU FUNDS FOR LIBYA MIGRANTS ENRICH ABUSERS INSTEAD
- ‘EVERYBODY CRIES HERE’: HOPE AND DESPAIR IN MEXICAN SHELTER
- MIGRANTS STUCK IN LAWLESS LIMBO WITHIN SIGHT OF AMERICA
- DENIED ASYLUM, MIGRANTS RETURN TO PLACE THEY FEAR MOST: HOME
- VOLUNTEERS STEP IN TO KEEP ASYLUM SEEKERS HEALTHY ON BORDER